This is the website of myself, Issa Rice. This site stores biographical information about me, but it is also a personal wiki or open notebook of sorts; anything that doesn’t belong elsewhere ends up on here, and as a result the content on here can be of admittedly low-quality: unfinished, written in multiple voices over the span of years, wrong, or otherwise unsuitable for public consumption. Embarrassing as it is, I like to “think and work in the open” so others can benefit from my thoughts and critique them.
On this site
- About me, about this site
- Contact me: the best way to contact me is via email at email@example.com
- Account names I use on various websites
- List of things I have worked on
- Software I use
- My pages related to the University of Washington
- Notes on computing (Unix-like operating systems, programming, etc.)
- Notes on math (old)
- Pages related to education
- A mirror of my Quora answers
- Information about my involvement with the effective altruism movement
Summary of what I worked on: November 2017
For completed tasks, see the work page.
In addition, during November I did more work on Vipul Naik’s Development Economics Subwiki. You can see my contributions.
I continued work on importing data for the Devec/Demography Data Portal (mostly country name normalization and trying to get all region/metric/year/units/dataset combinations to be unique in the database). One new repository here is devec_sql_common, which has some common code for working with all the datasets.
I also began work on a Computing Data Project (to be funded by Vipul Naik). Here I’ve mostly been reading about different cloud computing services and trying to come up with a database schema, so there isn’t much to see yet.
I also opened a bunch of issues on Vipul Naik’s Donations List Website repo. Previously our list of things to work on was stored as instant messaging messages, so these issues will make it easier to get an overview of things to work on. The plan is that eventually someone (probably me) will come and complete these tasks.
Here are some activity feeds that track what I’ve been working on:
- My GitHub contribution activity, including my commits to this website’s repository
- My contributions to the Timelines Wiki (Git version with more incremental changes, page creations)
- My contributions to Devec, the Development Economics Subwiki (page creations).
- My public GitHub Gists
- Summary of my contract work for Vipul Naik (more detailed page with tables)
- List of pages on this site, sorted by date of last substantive revision
- Recent changes on the Cause Prioritization Wiki
- Recent Quora questions (I occasionally ask questions on Quora while I work)