This is the website of myself, Issa Rice. This site stores biographical information about me, but it is also a personal wiki or open notebook of sorts; anything that doesn’t belong elsewhere ends up on here, and as a result the content on here can be of admittedly low-quality: unfinished, written in multiple voices over the span of years, wrong, or otherwise unsuitable for public consumption. Embarrassing as it is, I like to “think and work in the open” so others can benefit from my thoughts and critique them.
On this site
- About me, about this site
- Contact me: the best way to contact me is via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Account names I use on various websites
- List of things I have worked on
- Software I use
- My pages related to the University of Washington
- Notes on computing (Unix-like operating systems, programming, etc.)
- Notes on math (old)
- Pages related to education
- A mirror of my Quora answers
- Information about my involvement with the effective altruism movement
The following sites are not related to my personal website but are available via my personal domain name,
issarice.com. I list them here in case you wanted to navigate to one of them instead or you were curious about what subdomains existed.
- lw2: a LessWrong 2.0 reader I built
- eaforum: an Effective Altruism Forum reader I built
- timelines: Timelines Wiki, a wiki hosting timelines on various topics
- files: place for hosting random files
- exp: place for hosting experimental stuff that I don’t care about being available for the long-term
- aiwatch: AI Watch, a website for tracking the AI safety field
- orgwatch: Org Watch, a website for tracking various organizations
- beliefs: an experimental site for tracking beliefs over time
- contentcreation: Content Creation Wiki
Summary of what I worked on: April and May 2019
I was busy with travel and didn’t feel like updating this section at the end of April, so I am bundling together April and May.
For completed tasks, see the work page.
I’ve been working towards an explanation of Solomonoff induction; see Solomonoff induction, Abstracting sensory data in Solomonoff induction, Proportion of valid programs view of Solomonoff induction, and Equivalence of random coinflips view and minimal programs view for a work-in-progress.
For my edits to the Machine Learning Subwiki, see here.
I started working on a timeline of effective altruism.
I also started working on a portfolio page, which should provide an alternative to my work page.
For previous monthly updates, see the archive of my monthly updates.
Here are some activity feeds that track what I’ve been working on:
- My daily updates blog, which tracks my learning related to AI safety
- My GitHub contribution activity, including my commits to this website’s repository
- My contributions to the Timelines Wiki (Git version with more incremental changes, page creations)
- My contributions to the Machine Learning Subwiki (page creations)
- My contributions to the Learning Subwiki (page creations)
- My contributions to Devec, the Development Economics Subwiki (page creations).
- My public GitHub Gists
- Summary of my contract work for Vipul Naik (more detailed page with tables)
- List of pages on this site, sorted by date of last substantive revision
- Recent changes on the Cause Prioritization Wiki
- My recent comments and posts on LessWrong
- My recent comments and posts on the Effective Altruism Forum
- Contributions to LessWrong Wiki
- Recent Quora questions (I occasionally ask questions on Quora while I work)